The Company of horsemen have been providing alternative education through horses to schools, pupil referral units and individuals for over ten years.
The individuals enrolling on our provisions have often found mainstream schooling challenging yet by engaging them in something that sparks their interest, we have seen a spark that ignites them to rediscover a love of education.
The change in environment for the students can come as a greatly needed therapy in its self, the physical side and the outdoors help combat pent up energy in a positive way.
Horses are incredibility sensitive to our body language and emotions, witnessing the horse’s response to behaviour can promote self-awareness and can help people see themselves in a more realistic way.
Our aims are to help students:
- Improve communication skills
- Overcome fears
- Work as part of a team
- Achieve goals
- Develop aspirations to go onto a career in the equine industry
- Learn to be more respectful
- Build a sense of self-worth
- Build trust and self-efficiency
- Develop socialization skills and decrease isolation
- Learn impulse control and emotional management
- Set perspective
- Learn their limits or boundaries.